Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fandom against Domestic Violence (FaDV) compilation - Heart of Glass



Hi Followers,

I have just contributed a one-shot to the Fandom against Domestic Violence compilation.  To see the other authors and more information about the fundraiser, visit the blog here. The compilation of over 100 stories is available for anyone who makes a donation of $10 or more to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence during the month of February 2011  here and then sends a copy of the donation receipt to  fandomagainstdomesticviolence@gmail.com

The National Coalition page also has a lot of information for women, men & children in a domestic violence situation as well as ways others can help.

This is a cause close to my heart.  I left an abusive relationship with two small children and $20 to my name only through the support of close family and friends. Not everybody has that support and tragedies can and do occur every day.

A Teaser and Banner for my contribution - Heart of Glass


Banner made by the sexy Robrator. To see more of her banner work go here.

Summary:
Two shattered hearts. Bella is lonely and scared after escaping a violent marriage with two children and a mountain of debt. Edward is jaded and lonely after a stinging betrayal. Can caring for a sick little boy be the glue that puts them back together?

Tease:

Today was not going to be a good day. To start with, my employers at the stationery wholesale outlet were not very happy that I was taking another half day to take Riley to see the Paediatrician for more tests. It’s not like I didn’t have the time up my sleeve, and I was taking the time as part of my vacation time, which I was fully entitled to.


On top of that, Dr. Volturi had called me to say that he was taking a six months sabbatical to Europe with his wife, and that he had organised a locum to take over his patients for the duration of his absence. He assured me that the locum was highly qualified and that he had gone over Riley’s case file very meticulously with the new doctor. I knew I shouldn’t be worried but I couldn’t help it. Finally I had found a doctor I could put faith into and now he was gone.


I worked the morning at the office, run off my feet, trying to fit a full day’s work into four hours and then after picking up Riley from school, barely made it to the hospital in time for our appointment to see the new doctor. Dr Cullen I think his name is.


The Doctor’s receptionist and her assistant seemed all aflutter, and the mood, although usually upbeat anyway, was positively electric today. From thinking I was going to run late, to cooling my heels in the waiting room for what seemed like forever, I started to notice the odd behaviour of some of the moms exiting the doctor’s office. Was I the only woman not wearing a low cut or partially unbuttoned shirt and an itty bitty skirt today?


Finally it was Riley’s turn, and I could see what all the fuss was about as soon as the receptionist showed us into to the Doctor’s office and introduced us. Edward Cullen was the most singularly attractive man I had ever seen, and he had eyes for no one but my son. Even though this was the same office where we had met Dr Volturi, it felt different with the presence of a different doctor. Nothing was out of place or changed from when I was here, but I felt different. Now, instead of worry for my son, I felt uncomfortably aware of the attractiveness of the good Doctor with his distinctive shock of bronze-colored hair and the most unusual green eyes.


As soon as we were settled in the comfortable chairs next to the Doctor’s desk, Dr. Cullen turned to Riley and said. “Now, Riley, what seems to be the problem?”


I started to list all the symptoms but Dr Cullen raised his finger to his lips and shushed me. Yes…he damn well shushed me.


I opened my mouth to express my displeasure when he leaned closer to Riley and faux whispered, “Oh dear, your mom thinks her name’s Riley. I think she has a case of mistaken identity, what do you think?” and wiggled his eyebrows.

If you are unable to contribute to the cause, don't worry - the one-shot will be posted to my profile in the middle of March sometime after the fundraiser is over.

Hugs

Suz xxxxx

No comments: