Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teaser - Chapter 14 - Scent of a Woman - Repercussions

Unbelievable as it may seem - yes the next chapter of Scent is off with my beta to pretty it up. While we're waiting, here is a little tease:



From Chapter 13-


The next few minutes were a blur. I remember Edward suddenly jerking his head around towards Alice on the other side of the car and glaring at her. They both just as quickly jerked back towards me and Edward yelled something out to me but a noisy engine and a squeal of tires drowned out his words.


Edward’s arm shot out pointing at something behind me and as if in slow motion, I wheeled around and saw a large blue van careening across the ice straight towards me. Unlike my truck, my feet were not well equipped to deal with an icy surface and as I moved to get out of the way, they failed me. I started sliding and then scrabbling in fear for my life, making me desperate. Out of nowhere, something slammed into my left side and I hit the ground hard, my skull bouncing on the icy cold surface and then there was just nothing but blissful blackness.


I think I must have been dreaming but I could swear there was a faint scent of pine trees, strong arms gently holding me, cold lips caressing my forehead and a whispered litany of words over and over “Not again…please God…not again.”

Tease for Chapter 14: (unbeta'd)

Emmett snapped me out of my morose thoughts by slapping me on the back and giving me a bear hug just before I got into the Volvo. “You will be fine today, little bro! We’ve got your back!”


Why had I never noticed before how much Emmett looks out for me and for the rest of the family? His eternal optimism is actually quite uplifting and I resolve to start the day as I mean it to continue – confident in my ability to pull this off. I hug Emmett back and note his surprise at the feel of my arms around him, squeezing him a little more than was comfortable.

I grin and slip into my seat, Alice and Jasper already buckled in and ready to go. Alice knows something but is taking my request to heart. At the moment instead of giving me a sneak peak of my day she is naming every variation of the color blue. I chuckle at her choice, remembering Bella’s silky blue panties, hidden inside my own underwear drawer, the analogy not lost on me at all.

Once Emmett and Rosalie are ready to go in the Jeep parked alongside, I turn the key in the ignition and jump at the music blaring out of my car speakers. Alice! Muse’s Feeling Good assaults my eardrums and I outright laugh. Both Alice and Jasper do a double take at the happy sound and smile almost as wide as I am. As I drive towards school, all of us hum along until the chorus and then all burst into song at the sheer joy we are feeling…it’s addictive!

It's a new dawn

It's a new day

It's a new life

For me

And I’m feeling good

Alice and I are tapping the drum beats out on the dash and Jasper on the back of my seat as we pull into the school parking lot moments after Bella in her truck. I sit there for a moment to collect myself, taking a deep breath I don’t need before I step out of the Volvo and turn to towards Bella.

She is standing there at the door of her truck, her backpack slung over her shoulders and her hands full with gloves and her iPod. She acknowledges me with a smile and I am transfixed at the sight of her standing there watching at me. I can feel my lips curve upwards of their own volition in response to her avid perusal, it isn’t a conscious action.

Despite the fact that I was by her side only hours ago, I’m instantly drawn to her, instinctively needing to be by her side, to keep her safe and free from harm. I know it’s irrational – I mean really what harm could befall her in a school parking lot surrounded by a ton of students on a day like every other day. I couldn’t help feeling this way though; it’s not as if fate has been kind to me in the matter of love and my soul mate. Time and again the love of my life has been ripped from my life and I am paranoid that it will happen again.

dun dun dun ......

Suz xoxoxoxo

No comments: